Your browser version is outdated. We recommend that you update your browser to the latest version.


Winter Special

20% off all EWOF 

booked in-between the 01/05/2020 to the 01/08/2020

*Applies to RVs, Caravans, Transportable Structures.

See Promotions for terms and conditions.

Customers' Peace of Mind

Your peace of mind is foremost in our minds and from the moment you call our 24 hour number, we will do our best to ensure that the experience you have will be one which builds confidence in us.

When booking work with CMA Electrical your unique job reference number allows us to track and access all relevant information for your job at every stage on our system should you require it. 75% of our work is from returning customers with the remaining 25% new customers. Our reputation has been built on the trust customers have that we will undertake the work, however small or large, simple or complex, with complete professionalism and to the highest standards. Larger works will be supervised  by one of our highly knowledgeable and experienced staff who will regularly update you and answer any of your queries.

As a family run business we pride ourselves on that personal service which we believe is paramount to our success and which hopefully will make you a ‘CMA Electrical customer for life’


  • MOJ – All our operatives are fully vetted by the Ministry of Justice-MOJ.
  • Identification – All our operatives hold a EWRB photo identification card stating their name and registration category.
  • Qualifications – All our operatives are fully qualified and registered with the EWRB.
  • Uniforms – Operatives wear clean professional uniforms.
  • Vehicle – Operatives will arrive at your property in white toyota hiace company Vehicle.
  • Driving License – Operatives hold full licences and are fully insured.
  • Insurance – CMA Electrical carry public liability and indemnity insurance to ensure we protect our customers.

Company Policies

  • Charges – Our charges are transparent, quoted when you book a job, clearly shown on invoices and on the website.
  • Invoice – A GST invoice will be produced for each job.
  • Guarantee – Workmanship is covered by our customer satisfaction guarantee.
  • Ongoing Customer Service – We are here to assist you and help wherever we can.


  • Customer Details – Under no circumstances will any customer's details be shared, sold or in way passed on to any third party.
  • Security – Any keys left with our operatives to gain access to properly will be kept secure.
  • Data Protection – Customer information & other records are dealt with strictly in accordance with the Data Protection Act.

Contact Us

If you would like to know more about our peace of mind promise, or require any other information, please contact our office and we will be happy to talk to you.

Telephone: 021 87 4004